The objective of the African Digital Woman of the Year™ Award is to recognise a woman*, 18 years of age or older, who distinguishes herself through leadership, creativity, entrepreneurship, social-focus and/or innovative discoveries, and who is positively impacting the number of girls and women participating in digitally-driven or digitally-enabled areas of study or work, in one or more of the following capacities:
- In the ICT sector, as a promising young potential or executive in a prominent public, private or academic sector IT organisation;
- Through work in entertainment or media, including social media;
- In commercialisation of an innovative digital concept, tool and/or service;
- Through focus on not-for-profit or social work, community-orientation, humanitarian activities (including ICT4Good, health, planet, well-being, etc.); and/or
- Through step-change research & development activities in the private or public sectors, academic excellence, digital/social innovations.
*anyone who identifies as a woman
Participants must be 18 years of age or older as of 16 September 2014.
Entry and Judging Criteria:
Entrants must meet the following criteria to qualify:
- The nominee is a woman, or someone who identifies as a woman who is 18 years of age or older
- The nominee is resident in an African country
- Complete all aspects of nomination on the submission form and submit the form by the communicated deadline
- Submitted videos can be no longer than 3 minutes
- All pre-produced material such as music must be approved for use or license free, or creative commons licensed
- Entry must meet the 3 minute video limit
- Entries can be submitted in any language but you must provide an English language translation/ subtitles in English, for judging
- Any entries that are deemed to be offensive or culturally insensitive will be disqualified
- The competition organisers reserve the right to decide on the eligibility of candidates and entries
- Not have previously been awarded a winning prize in any Ada Awards category or region
- Not be an employed by any organisations partnering with the Ada Awards, nor a family member of those employees
LEGAL NOTICE, TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The aim of the Ada Awards™ – including Digital Girl of the Year™, Digital Woman of the Year™, and Digital Impact of the Year™ – is to showcase outstanding women and girls in digitally-enabled and digitally-driven studies and careers, and recognise organisations that are fundamentally improving the eco-system to increase participation of girls and women in digital studies and careers. The Ada Awards have the following objectives:
- Increase the number of digitally-skilled girls and women;
- Increase participation of girls and women in digitally-driven and digitally-enabled studies, enterprises and jobs;
- Recognise outstanding women and girls in digitally-enabled and digitally-driven studies and careers; and
- Showcase promising practices by organisations who are increasing participation of girls and women, particularly in leadership roles, in digital sectors.
The information and material provided do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Award Partners or their associates. The Awards are organised by the Digital Leadership Institute, asbl/vzw, AWACA BVBA and Evolving Consulting with the support of industry sponsors.
The goal is to keep this information and material timely and accurate. If errors are brought to our attention we will try to correct them. However, neither the Digital Leadership Institute, asbl/vzw, AWACA BVBA nor Evolving Consulting, their employees, affiliates or family members can be held responsible for any errors, omissions, inaccuracies or incompleteness in the information and material provided either directly or indirectly, or for any consequences or actions their use may result in. In addition, neither of the above is responsible or may be held accountable for any loss suffered as a result of reliance upon the information provided on the present website.
The present legal notice is not intended to limit the liability of the Digital Leadership Institute, asbl/vzw, AWACA BVBA or Evolving Consulting in contravention of any requirements laid down in applicable national law nor to exclude liability for matters which may not be excluded under national law.
Reproduction is authorized, provided the source is acknowledged, save where otherwise stated. Where prior permission must be obtained for the reproduction or use of textual and multimedia information (sound, images, software, etc.), such permission shall cancel the above-mentioned general permission and shall clearly indicate any restrictions on use.
Protection of Personal Data
The Digital Leadership Institute, asbl/vzw, AWACA BVBA and Evolving Consulting are committed to the protection of personal data, in accordance with applicable regulations on protection of individuals with regard to processing of personal data by institutions and bodies and free movement of such data”.
Your personal data will thus be processed in conformity with the above-mentioned Regulation. Should you have any queries about the processing of your personal data, both regarding access to data and rectification of these data, you are invited to send your request to the responsible of the processing operation: cheryl(at)AdaAwards(dot)com
You also have the right to apply at any moment to the European Data Protection Supervisor.
Your personal data will only be accessible to the Digital Leadership Institute, asbl/vzw, AWACA BVBA and Evolving Consulting, and any Award sponsors and their subcontractors for the purposes of organising prizes, promotion of the winning entries, travel and following up with requests sent by entrants.
Entrants retain the copyright of their materials and entries. However by entering the competition, the entrants authorise the Digital Leadership Institute, asbl/vzw, AWACA BVBA and Evolving Consulting, plus any industry sponsors to unlimited reproduction rights of the materials for the purposes of promotion of the competition, prize giving and awards ceremonies.
Entries may be created in all eligible country languages. It is mandatory to provide the registration form fields in English. This summary is important for the African jury members to evaluate projects, but also for those viewing competition entries.
Legal and Ethical Issues
The Digital Leadership Institute, asbl/vzw, AWACA BVBA and Evolving Consulting reserve the right to modify the terms, conditions and content of the competition at any time including but not limited to the prizes, age groups, deadlines and sponsors. Any notifications or possible changes will be published on the website and will apply as of the date of publication.
Before submission, special attention should be given to the following points: All participants must comply with African and national copyright laws.
- Entries may not contain statements, facts, information or quotations that could denigrate or harm any person or group of people; neither statements, images facts, information or quotations encouraging persecution of people on the grounds of race, opinion, nationality, sex, religion, profession or other persuasion, nor entries encouraging crime or law-breaking will be allowed.
- All persons photographed or filmed for the purposes of the Awards have given their, or a parent’s in the case of minors, consent for publication.
Please note that an entry may be disqualified if it breaks any of the rules under “Legal and ethical issues”.
©2013-2014 AWACA BVBA, Digital Leadership Institute, asbl/vzw
Place Van Meyelplein 24
1040 Brussels, Belgium